Earlier this month, I asked readers to name who their favorite Chicago Blackhawks player, past or present. The prize? A set of VIP Blackhawks cards that you could only get at the 34th National Sports Collectors Convention in Chicago.A total of 18 readers entered the contest. Here are the winners:
The Five Contest Winners in no particular order, and based on the answers that I found most interesting:
1. Franco14 said his favorite ‘Hawk was Dirk Graham. Graham did it all, include kill penalties, score clutch goals and fight. He was team captain for six years and won the Selke Trophy.
2. Duff E. McFadden selected Tony Esposito as his favorite ‘Hawk, saying that he’s “always been a Tony Esposito kind of guy.” ‘Nuff said.
3. Jeff picked Chris Chelios as his favorite ‘Hawk. Yes, Chelios is my favorite player too, but Jeff was a fan of Cheli back in 1987, when he was with the Canadiens. Jeff even made a special trip to a card shop the day after first seeing Chelios play so that he could buy his rookie card. (Extra points for mentioning Pat & Dale, and not feeling the need to use their last names.)
4. Dave Schauer said Harold “Mush” March was his favorite ‘Hawks player, but for a very unusual reason. March dated David’s grandma for a few years, and though they did not marry, March remained a lifelong friend of David’s grandma and her family. That is Class with a capital “C.”
5. Captain Canuck who picked Lyle Odelein.Canuck met Odelein, who visited his place of work. Odelein told him that he’d call him next time he was in town — and did so They talked hockey over beers. It’s always cool to have such an experience with a player.
BUT WAIT! There are more winners. I’m giving out another five Blackhawks VIP sets. These winners were picked at random using Random.org:
6. Dean Ralph – Keith Brown
7. Doomm – Stan Mikita
8. Neil – Jeremy Roenick
9. DFG – Ed Olczyk
10. Jason Barrett – Al Secord
(For those interested, I put everyone’s name in a list, and clicked the “randomize” button 13 times, since there were 13 remaining contestants. I then selected numbers 6 through 10, since I was for 6th through 10th place. Screen shot here.)
Congratulations to the ten winners. If we have traded cards before (or you’ve won something from me before), I have your address on file. If you’ve never gotten cards from me, please email me your full name and mailing address: sjb AT puckjunk DOT com.
Thanks to everyone who participated in the contest.
Special thanks to In The Game for providing the prizes for this contest.