Radek Bonk made waves when, at age 17, he signed with the Los Vegas Thunder of the old International Hockey League. Most kids under 18 play against their peers in junior hockey, but Bonk was competing with men many years older than him. Classic Games, who specialized in making cards of prospects, took notice of this feat. They issued this card of Bonk to promote their 1994 Pro Prospects set.
There are a few notable differences between the promo card and the actual release:
- The photos on the front and back are different
- The real card has “Blue Chip Prospect” stamped in red foil in the upper-right corner
- The promo card does not have a card number
- The promo card states “FOR PROMOTIONAL PURPOSES ONLY” underneath the stats
- At the bottom, the promo card states that Bonk is the “Top Prospect for the 1994 draft.” The real card changed that line to read “Eligible for 1994 Draft.”
Conclusion: If you are a Radek Bonk collector – or have fond memories of the Classic Prospect sets – then this card is a nice, relatively inexpensive find.